Monday, July 2, 2012

Scrabble Coasters

Hello! Things have slowed down a bit after two vacations in three weeks' time so I can post a few projects.

This one I recently finished for my new sister-in-law.  She had a unique outdoor wedding and reception with ideas from Pinterest, and I asked if I could help...from a few states away.  She assigned me the task of making 62 Scrabble coasters to be used as seating markers and guest favors that I could bring to town with me for the occasion.  She gave me this tutorial to follow:  http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/diy-wedding-ideas-scrabble-coasters-tutorial/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IntimateWeddings-SmallWeddingBlog+%28Intimate+Weddings+-+Small+Wedding+Blog%29  I followed it with the exception that I used wood stain as the alternative (that she lists) to staining the names and I used wood varnish, but not the specific "marine" one the lady lists on her tutorial.  I also purchased all of my scrabble tiles from one supplier on Etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/XOSupplies?ref=pr_shop_more.  She was terrific to work with and a fast shipper!  I will order from her again, for sure!  I bought 1,570 tiles in multiple orders.  The cork I bought in rolls at Target in the office section, and I also bought my wood glue at Target.  The stain and brushes and all of that I had on hand already from past projects.

I had fun making these, although I had to kind of watch the weather to complete them as I am preggers and wanted to make sure I was in a well-ventilated area, a.k.a., the outdoors.  I also wore this awesome mask I have been using throughout my pregnancy (since I discovered my pregnancy, anyway) for every paint and stain project, along with some protective gloves that go to my elbows, and of course, I had on my apron!  Otherwise, this project was simple and fun.  I was careful not to spell out any bad words in the miscellaneous scrabble pieces, or at least I tried!

I think these would make a great Christmas gift or for other type of parties. Thanks for looking!





No comments: