Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Toy Room Makeover








Okay, there is one room in my house that has been called many things: office; scrapbook room; t.v. room; and now it's a toy room. It's been so many things because it is rather a very small room in our house, and it was an addition the previous owners made. So there is not overhead lighting, and it's not exactly functional. We've tried! But it was the last of our first floor rooms to get a makeover. Beginning last week, I stripped down the golf border at the top; plugged a bunch of holes with spackle(?), sanded, vacuumed, and prepared it for our three day weekend to be painted and re-arranged. I was very excited to do this. The original color was a rustic red with a glaze, and since there wasn't an overhead light in the room, along with it being on the side of the house without much sun, it was a rather dark-looking room ALL DAY LONG. So my first decision was to paint it a completely different shade. I settled on this "Dew of Silverberry" from WalMart, but I bought the paint at Sherwin Williams during their holiday sale. The room actually took three coats (with primer) to get the final product, but soooooooooooo worth it!!! Then we used some old wooden Charlie Brown decor that my mother-in-law made for her kids. I didn't touch them up at all, because I liked their old look, especially since The Peanuts gang isn't exactly modern these days anyway. (My kids love the Peanuts movies during the holidays.) Lastly, I visited Target and decided to just blow the budget up and get some new pillows and some wall decor. (It wasn't really that bad...just more than I am used to spending on "wants" and so it made me feel slightly guilty.) Then we re-arranged the room completely different than it was before, which is a MUCH better use of space. The t.v. and cabinet on one side of the room, and the toys and such on the other, with the little play table in the center of the room, which will be used for snacks while watching some t.v. or during playing with the kitchen. I am sooooooo very happy with the way the makeover went. I think it's now my new favorite room of the house! ;) Thanks for all of your hard work, Brent! We did a great job, but I know I could not have done it alone!!!

2 comments:

tomiannie said...

Looks great! I love the color, and those peanuts figures are cute!

Annie said...

Great job!! I love that paint color!!