Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Quilted Gift!

I am so excited to share something I received for Christmas!  I normally do not like to brag about gifts I receive, but when it is handmade, it's hard not to share! And this is especially sentimental.  My mother had a rough upbringing; and thus dropped out of high school, later got her G.E.D., and then worked at schools close to home as a school cook which gave her the flexibility to still be at home with the children when we would be there.  I admire my mom for a lot of reasons for she has overcome a lot of hardships in her life.  Well, she does not craft.  She jokes she can't sew on a button even!  But she retired a couple of years ago, and she had hundreds of those "scrubs" in fun patterns and colors since she worked at an elementary school.  She asked a distant relative who quilts to take all of the uniforms and make each of us children (four in total) a quilt from her old uniforms.  Then she gave them to us at Christmas.  I absolutely love mine!  I am not even going to use it.  I bought a quilt rack from Etsy (here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/101014543/reclaimed-wood-3-foot-quilt-rack-with?ref=shop_home_active_22) to hang it on in my home...at least until my children are older and we can be more gentle with the quilt.  This was such a wonderful gift to receive and I look forward to handing it down in the family along with the stories of my mother and her life.  Thanks for looking!

No comments: