Since the new year rolled over, and we were painting the upstairs hall and stairwell on New Year's Eve to freshen up the place, we had to go to the paint store a few times. While there, I had hinted to the girls I might be doing their room soon, so I had them each pick a color they liked. Carly picked this soft lime green, and Jayna picked the hot pink. Brent and I decided to combine the colors and give them each their "own" walls and sides of the room.
So that's exactly what we did...we got a gallon of each color, and started painting last Monday. Well, I "cut in" around the trim earlier this week to prepare for Brent's Friday off from work -- when he would go over the whole walls with a roller. After I cut in the girls' room, I decided to look for comforters and such. At the time I went to Target, they only had one hot pink comforter with ruffles...which I decided looked "tween" enough for Carly, yet still frilly for a little girl. They only had one, though. But being crafty and not a brand-new seamstress, I decided I would make Jayna a matching one in the lime green color. So it went...and I also re-covered the little stool that goes with Carly's vanity in matching colors.
A lot of the little things we now have on the walls (the green tree; the pincushion wall hanging; the "C" and "J" letters on the shelves, and so forth) I bought at Hobby Lobby all 50% off on sale. The quote "Happy Girls are the Prettiest" is one I found on Pinterest...quoted from Audrey Hepburn. The doily banners at the end of their beds I made...also an idea from Pinterest. Some of the other things we already had and I recycled...the small white chest of drawers I altered with some adhesive fabric I found in the scrapbook paper section at JoAnn's. The purple curtains over the closet and the hot pink ones over the window were formerly in their room already and so I just put those back up.
I love the contrast between the colors and each girl has her own "print" on the walls. Carly loved it! Jayna, too! They both kept hugging us and telling us "thank you." We told Carly that is part of her birthday gift...the other part being that we'll host a small party for her on her birthday in February. But the room makeover and all the new things are her birthday presents from us. So, what do you think?!?! :) Thanks for looking! PS - Last thing up...crocheting a pretty rug to place between their beds on the floor from left over scrap fabric from Jayna's comforter, among other remnants I have laying around in the same colors......
3 comments:
Adorable!! You are so talented!
Really adorable! Way to go!
Great job!! I love the light over Jayna's bed!
Post a Comment