Typically every year I make a lot of my gifts for friends and family. However, this year, with babysitting three days a week for 10 hours each day, and not having the down time we had last year after Brent's hip surgery, I found I was really too busy to get much done craft-wise outside of my Etsy shop orders for others. So, I chose just one gift for each of my kids and went with that for a handmade Christmas.
The first is the fabric alphabet set I made for Shelby. I had inherited a lot of scrap fabrics from my grandmother this past summer, and I really wanted to recycle it into some cute things for my family. I researched some pins with tutorials about fabric alphabet sets on Pinterest, and I then did what was comfortable for me with a combination of steps from different tutorials. Overall, I was really pleased with the outcome of my product, and my grandmother was impressed with the idea and wanted a set for herself! :)
For Carly, I scrapbooked a page of pictures from Taylor Swift's concert that Carly and I attended earlier this year. I also included her ticket from the concert, and an actual autograph from Taylor Swift addressed to Carly that a friend gave her for her birthday a few years ago. (Before Taylor Swift became really popular around the country, she had stopped in my town...yes, just one mile away!...at a local grocery store to sign autographs and release her first cd. Oh, how I wish I had known how famous she'd become...I would have been there myself!) Carly now has the shadow box framed page on her wall to remember that special day we shared as mother and daughter. :)
For Jayna, I had pinned some peg doll ideas because she really loved playing with a set I made identical to our family before Shelby was born. So I pinned a few and when it came time to choose, I decided since she loves princesses so much, why not "the Princess and the Pea" to add to her collection of princess stories? She didn't know the story yet so I ordered the book off of Amazon.com and set to work on the peg doll set. Again, I used fabrics from my grandmother to "dress" the dolls and the "quilt" the mattresses. Jayna has loved it so much and I'm really glad I didn't second guess my crafty abilities and went through with the plan. I will make more for her in the near future! Just pinned another set I'm sure she'll love.... ;)
When it came to Adam, well, boys are just harder to craft for, and there's not as much "cute-sy" stuff for them. But when I saw this pin, I knew it was the gift for him. http://www.meggipeg.com/2012/04/boy-bedroom-makeover-scout-blanket-with.html I have so many extra patches that do not go directly on his uniform, and also some that Brent acquired as a Scout, so I have begun working on sewing them all to a blanket. I have the trim almost all done along the edges as well. While I haven't completed Adam's project to date, I did show it to him close to Christmas and he was happy with it. I look forward to giving him something special and that accounts for time he has spent learning things with Scouts. I also think it will be nice if he has sons that he can hand this down to them and they can add their Scout badges as well.
I had about a week to work on my children's gifts for Christmas after I had completed my Etsy orders, so it wasn't much time to finish everything I wanted for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment