It's that time of year again! Okay, ever since I lived in Bakersfield, California, I have made this meal every Fall...sometimes even twice a season! It's some work, but it's fun and I love the end result. We made it at a Relief Society event at church. Here is the recipe I have, but I believe it can vary:
1 (6lb.) pumpkin(round so it fits in the oven and with a stem)
3/4 lb. ground beef
1 stalk celery, sliced
one onion, diced
1 small can of mushrooms
1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups of water
3/4 cups instant rice
1 cup canned corn, partially drained
1 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and oregano
1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
Grease baking sheet or cover with aluminum foil.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Cut around stem of pumpkin at an angle toward the bottom. Clear out pumpkin.
Brown beef; drain. Saute celery, onion, and mushrooms together in same pan. Add beef back to pan with vegetables. Add tomato sauce, water, instant rice, corn, and seasonings to same pan. Cook over medium heat until rice is tender; stir often. Then stir in cheese cubes until semi-melted. Spoon mixture into pumpkin. Place on baking sheet and bake for one hour or until soft.
You may also add bell peppers or black beans (I haven't tried this though I am a huge fan of black beans). When serving the meal, scrape the sides on the inside of the pumpkin for pumpkin chunks. I personally love this part, but my kids do not like to eat the actual pumpkin pieces. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!
1 comment:
Looks delish! Is it hard to transport the pumpkin once you've cooked it?
Post a Comment